Zuster Young

Zuster Young
Zuster is Dutch for "sister", which is a title used for female missionaries.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Bikes & Waffles

Week 2!!! It feels like I have been out here forever but really only been two weeks! Well, we had a great week and a lot of hard work. I wish I could tell you everything but I just want to share some of my favorite experiences from this last week. 1st: Shout out to my parents who always go out of their way to take care of the missionaries and always have them over for dinner! Being a missionary and out here I appreciate it a whole lot more and on a new level. We had a dinner appointment with Dirk and Cristel Tuesday night and they live in Merksem and in rundown apartment. When we arrived she was so happy and explained that she was in the kitchen all day preparing and then showed us the most beautiful china I have ever seen. She told us that she only uses it when she feeds the missionaries. Then went on to say that since she has no family (her sons have just abandoned them) that we are her family so it is a big deal. Man I got all teary eyed as she was just so happy and talking to us. The spirit was so strong that night and I felt so loved and honored to be a missionary. Also, she fed us SO much food. Mom don't worry about me not eating! Seriously though, we had 4 dinner appointments this last week and it was like a Thanksgiving feast! They make such great food and am so full!!!! 2nd: Dinner appointment with Cetin and his family. Cetin and his family are from Turkey and are Muslim. We found Cetin on the street and gave him a Book of Mormon and he invited us to his house for dinner to talk more about it. TURKISH FEAST! His wife made an amazing and delicious dinner. They are so polite and respectful that they kept putting more food on our plates. Cetin's sister and her kids were there. During dinner the kids were all over the place, just crazy. We talked to Cetin and his sister for 2 hours about the gospel, our lives and families. Finally we started to share our message of the restoration. Slowly all of the kids were sitting around the table quiet and listening. We both bore our testimonies and it was powerful. Although we could tell that we wouldn't be progressing with them, I felt like I fulfilled part of my purpose... we brought them closer to Christ. 3rd: Finally got my own bike on Thursday! But we spent 3 hours walking around looking for a bike shop. It was the worst, with as much as people bike and we see so many bikes we didn't believe how hard it was to find! But finally got my own! But riding my bike in the city is so scary. Sister Jones justs weaves in and out of people and cars! But I'm getting the hang of it! 4th: The trams and buses here are crazy. Just think of Harry Potter and the Prisoner from Azkaban, (the 3rd one) and that crazy bus that picks Harry up. Yeah, it is exactly like that here...totally nuts. Can't believe that is is Christmas time. But I'm so excited and we have some great things planned. Mostly dinner appointments,... so more eating but it is gonna be great! I love being a missionary and having people look at us and look at our name tags is the best! It starts a conversation. Life of a missioanry is pretty awesome! OH! I had my first Belgian Waffle this week and it was the most delicious and heavenly thing I have ever eaten. Nothing can ever compare to it... I hope y'all have a great Christmas and remember the reason for the season! I love you all! Zuster Young

No comments:

Post a Comment