Zuster Young

Zuster Young
Zuster is Dutch for "sister", which is a title used for female missionaries.

Monday, April 27, 2015

It was never easy for Him

Well good morning... I know it has only been 5 days but its P-day for us again! Holland has a holiday on Monday- Koningsdag. And we are to do as much proselyting as possible. So today we have P-day and wont have it till the following Monday. But anywho these last couple of days have been great. I am exhausted! You go to bed on time but you wake up the next morning still tired. You know you're a missionary when the kneeling position for praying becomes comfortable enough to fall asleep. I remember when I first got out here and Zr. Jones would tell me that and other missionaries would talk about falling asleep during personal prayers...I've reached that point! But I guess that is a good things and we are out working. We are pulling good proselyting numbers (President Robinson created a project "Wrinkle in Time"to increase numbers and productivity) so we keep track of our proselyting hours everyday. On Tuesday we got six and half hours alone! It's been hard, I'll be honest... lately appointments fall through so we have to come up with a new plan. Most of the time we are knocking doors. Again it has been hard and discouraging... People open the door and once we say who we are they either laugh, stop us, shew us away, slam the door or all the above. We put what we hold dear and special to us out on the line and people throw it back in your face. We looked up a less active and she was surprised to see us at her door. After a few awkward minutes she let us in. She explained to us that she wants nothing to do with the church. She even served a mission in England! As she talked and explained why, she proceeded to tell us that she is getting a divorce, she has no work, and because she went on a mission did not finish school. Which she made very clear that she felt her mission was a waste of her time and wished she stayed here to study. We bore a short testimony and asked her if we could say a prayer before we left. She laughed in our face and said in English "I don't do cheesy". What does that even mean? I don't know. But that was a testimony builder to me that your life falls apart once your choose to walk away from the gospel. You literally lose a light once you remove the foundation. Which foundation should be Jesus Christ. Later that night we had a dinner appointment, and by this point it was a long day full of walking, slammed doors, etc. I was exhausted and having a hard time understanding the conversation, feeling beat and then a little tender mercy. There was music playing in the background and BAGPIPES started playing. I felt the spirit tell me that everything will be okay, Heavenly Father loves me and sees my efforts. That my family loves me and supports me. So shoutout to the Clan! Yesterday was very interesting. We had a lesson with an investigator from Portugal... well she pretty much just taught us. She is a christian woman, who doesn't really like her current church but her husband is the head hancho man so that is where it gets pretty tricky. But anywho we talked about the word of wisdom, the godhead, the symbolism of hair, and then the devil. We were there fro 2 hours and by the end she went right into a prayer and we think she healed us and blessed us. It was kinda funny because we really didn't know what was going on. She is a super sweet woman and really sincere. Just wants to know the truth, just need to figure out to teach her. Lastly, last night we had an appointment with another investigator, Celia. She loves to study and has been studying the scriptures, the pamphlets we gave her and on her own has been watching General Conference! My jaw dropped... Just blows my mind that there are people who are ready for the gospel in their lives, how close they are and how much Heavenly Father is working with his children, individually, who are seeking him. It is moments like these, and these lessons that make all the slammed doors worth it. The people are why we are here. I love being a missionary. It was never easy for Christ, so why would it be easy for me? I love you all and you are in my prayers. Leifs, Zuster Young

 P.S. 1 Corinthians 11:15 the reason I love my long hair and will never cut it! -- Zuster Young

** 1 Corinthians 11:15 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/1-cor/11?lang=eng

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of amazed at how similar our girls experiences are!

    ReplyDelete