Zuster Young

Zuster Young
Zuster is Dutch for "sister", which is a title used for female missionaries.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sucker Punched

Transfer Verdict: ....drum roll please.... I am leaving Lelystad, picking up a beautiful fresh out of the oven greenie and heading to white-wash Zoetermeer!! My last 7 weeks will be by the temple, training and remaining the Sister Training Leader for the Den Haag Zone. 😶 I was speechless... my poor companion Sister Jensen, now she has seen some weird things come from me. I mean I am a weird person... but Saturday night I was freaking out.. completely dumbfounded, sucker punched! I have been telling everyone I would be staying and training. It was heartbreaking to tell people and going to church on Sunday was so emotional. Here is how my weekend went: Saturday night: Middle of weekly planning, and President Bunnell calls. Lays the news on me and I accept. I hang up the phone, toss my pen in the air and just sit on the floor for a solid 10 minutes. We had no idea where to begin. With an hour and half to spare before our lesson with Charlie we start making a plan for packing, making a white wash packet, clean and meet with as many people as possible for the next 3 days. And mostly thinking of how am I going to tell Charlie? Met up with Charlie and went to Burger King to get ice cream... Oreo ice cream 'turrlijk! After a few minutes, of ignoring it and just avoiding the subject she brought up transfers herself. Broke the news... charlie and I cried... people giving us crazy looks! Charlie turned to Jensen and asked her to say a prayer. That spot there in the Burger King in Lelystad Station became a special holy spot. Charlie means the world to me, and she has come so closer to the Lord. She is the reason I was here in Lelystad. I have found a sister. But I knew in that moment I have done all I could for Lelystad. Sunday: Alright if you are fasting, I advise don't cry a lot.... you get the worst headache! Now here is where it gets really funny... but heartbreaking. They broke the news that we both are leaving, everyone knew that Jensen was, dun she is going home. But as for me, a total shock. There literally was a gasp in the air and heads turned. They asked us to bear our testimony. Jensen went first was up there for a solid 10 minutes. I was nervous, holding back tears and waiting for the right moment. As there always is, you make a move to go up but someone goes. Sit back down. After another 15 minutes I finally get up, but my foot got caught so I almost fell on my face. I jumped and made a gymnast move like "SAFE!" and was laughing at myself.. so was every one else. As I walked up I felt the tears coming, oh man... I smile and say : "I will keep this short... Thanks and Bye!!"with peace signs and make the motion to walk away. Everyone laughs but I turned back to bear my testimony. I stood there for what felt like eternity and just cried. I could not find the words, every time I tried to speak more tears came. Why is leaving so hard... especially Lelystad? That moment when they grab a tissue box and bring it to you... ah! I finally was able to speak... now please do not take this is any prideful way on my part... as I looked at the congregation all I saw were tears. I had only said a few words, but my favorite people, the members, whom I love were in tears as I said goodbye. I have felt like I have not done enough for these members, there is so much potential here! I want to do so much for them! I felt like my time was taken away. But in that moment seeing their tears, it was humbling and comforting. A few others got up and bore their testimony and making a comment about me leaving.. also with tears. After sacrament meeting members coming up, with tears in their eyes, playing with my hair, rubbing my cheek, hugging me to death, all said it was unfair. Thanked me for the impact I have had... they all know I don't believe them, or see what they seem to see. Even a woman, not a member, a friend of Sister Prins, comes to church, cut my hair and just getting to know, came up in such tears in her eyes. Did not want me to leave. Why? What have I done? But it was truly a humbling experience... these people who I love so dearly all told me through their sweet gestures and tears that I, yes I Zr. Young was here for a reason and had some sort of influence in their lives. Lelystad has become family. To end my testimony, thinking I was doing good said "..this is my prayer... oh wait this is not a prayer.. this is my testimony... amen." I again made a fool of myself and filled the chapel with laughs... Sat down and Charlie called me and "Awkward Cupcake".. another member leaned up and said it was good to know that there are other people just as embarrassingly emotional. I truly do fit in with these people. My heart aches... is so torn. But then I am so excited about this new adventure... the grand finale of my mission. I would not trade any of this for anything! The sun is shining more and more each day... even through the endless Nederland rain. Funny moments: - Sitting at Burger King, a man who lives in a group house with a less active, came over to say hi. I told him that I was leaving. He was drunk... you could smell it. He rubbed my cheek and said he would miss me. Ahh... awkward!! - Teaching Angelique's kids "When the Mormon sisters pray, prayers get answered." - This week my chain on my bike has fallen off 7 times! - Walking (because Jensen and I both had a flat tire, my fault... well the pumps fault. We do not have a good pump and it just took out the air!) Anywho we were walking and this old man biking, pointed at me and with a thumbs up shouted "Beautiful Braid!!" - Now I eat my feelings... so before anymore comments come about my gaining weight... I know!!! I am in Europe and it is hard to control the portions thy give you. Plus they have great chocolate! And I eat my feelings... so when I get too much of any feeling I go to the kitchen and make things. These last few weeks I have baked so so many things.. and eaten them! I got a ton of pictures so sorry for the overload of a long email and millions of photos! Ik hou van jullie! -- Zuster Young My freakout with transfers
Typical Young....
The beautiful Skye... eating everything
This explains our companionship....

No comments:

Post a Comment