Zuster Young

Zuster Young
Zuster is Dutch for "sister", which is a title used for female missionaries.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Power of an Orange

Goed morgen!! First of all I just want to say thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, birthday videos and most importantly the support. I had an incredible birthday over here in Nederland and then to have gotten the videos from you back home was just the cherry on top! I can not believe that I am 20 years old!! Yikes! But just like every other birthday for as long as I can remember, it was a rainy and stormy birthday. My companion made me a yummy cake, had a dinner appointment with Familie Martes- they made a traditional Dutch dinner but Zr. Martes is German so she made a German Chocolate Cake...oh it was divine! We were able to watch the Saratov Approach on my birthday. It was a whole new experience watching it from this point of view. Being a missionary and watching that movie was incredibly powerful. Of course I was in tears and super emotional. I am so thankful to be out here and there is not anything else I would rather be doing. No matter how hard it gets, it is not until your life and faith is put on the line that you realize the mountains you have climbed and how you have become stronger. This week I went on exchanges with Zr. Fleming and we had an incredible time. It was the best day that i have had in a few weeks. We first worked in Gouda for a little bit and while biking around we saw a woman who was having trouble with her bike so we pulled over and helped her out. She tried to pay us but what does a missionary do instead, we tried to give her a Book of Mormon. Kept biking and stopped a man walking his dog. We started the conversation by asking about cheese...which led to a 30 minute conversation about faith and believing in God. Turned around on the bus and started a conversation with a guy by asking him what a word was in the dutch book of Mormon, which led to a 30 minute conversation about the difference between the bible and the book of Mormon. Travel contacting has been hard for me to do, I just feel awkward but was able to do it. Went to Dordrecht and just knocked doors the rest of the evening. However that was the best experience knocking doors. Unfortunately no one let us in or was interested, but at every door we left it better than we found it. We didn't leave a house without bearing testimony, complimenting them or simply leaving them with a smile on their face. It was amazing to see some people soften up from the time they opened the door when they saw us, to when we just sat and said a few things, bore testimony and moved on. We met some really interesting people, had some very insightful conversations. There are people from all over the world, with such very different backgrounds, and each one of them I felt Heavenly Father's love for them. Some I could see the wall standing in front of them blocking them, the adversary clouding thier view, and that sucks! Yet, I am thankful for the time I had to work in Dordrecht and with Zr. Fleming because I was able to catch a glimpse of the missionary that I am, who I am trying to become. It has been really hard lately, hard to see that what I am doing is enough, fighting the adversary, and feeling confident. But this exchange helped me to feel t spark of that confidence. And all I did was simply bear my testimony to as many people as I could. Also that night, we got back to the apartment and Zr. Fleming and I just talked for a long time. I could go on about these last few weeks but a lot of stress and emotions have been building up and I set it aside to focus on the people. Well Zr. Fleming did something to help me let it all out. Now don't judge because I know it sounds silly but it worked! We took oranges, shouted something was was stressing us out and then threw the orange at the wall in the bathroom. Did that a couple times and man that orange was destroyed and I felt so relieved! haha crazy but it works!! Anywho, I don't have a ton of time now, I got overloaded with videos and I spent my time watching those. ha Thank you again for your love and support. Thanks to y'all I have been had the motivation and support to keep going. When things get tough, just get on your knees and pray. I love you all. Have a great week!! -- Zuster Young

No comments:

Post a Comment